Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Access: Databases CAN be fun!

http://www.jozefnagy.com/files/Access-256x256.png
Speaking from experience (ORACLE Academy, for example) I am not a fan of databases. However, in Microsoft Office and Beyond (grades 10-12) and Computer Solutions (8th grade) we have to complete units on Access. I have found many websites to use for databases but my favorite is found at http://www.ncwiseowl.org/kscope/Hovercraft/Jukebox/Databases/index.htm
It has GREAT modules and activities for the students to get involved in the process of making databases and using reports, etc.
Roanoke County paid for an 18 week online course for ORACLE and flew me to UCLA for a week and a half for ORACLE Academy a few years ago.... I still don't know exactly what I'm doing.. but I learned to have a greater appreciation for those that can work with databases 24/7.

Anyone else hate databases.... or is there someone that loves 'em and can't get enough??

3 comments:

  1. Databases can be wonderful things, if they are set up and maintained properly. I am not familiar with Oracle, but I have used other programs and they are a lifesaver for having all individual information in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love databases when someone else creates them for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned how to use ACCESS last semester...I have no use for it right now, but it is capable of really cool things.

    ReplyDelete