Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Digital Tools

http://www.portraits-by-joseph.com/IMAGES/Wacom%20Tablet%20Image/artist-painting-tabletA.jpg
We were assigned multiple chapters to read from our textbook and complete reflection questions on. My favorite chapter was 4 where we learned about Digital Tools that Support Learning. This chapter reminded me a lot about a class that I taught for two years while at William Byrd High School. It was called "Digital Input Technologies" and for the 36 weeks in class we learned how to use speech recognition software, PDA's, writing tablets, HTML code, and a lot of good 'ol fashion keyboarding. The chapter didn't go into great detail on any of these other that some on HTML. It gave me better ideas on some other things to use in the digital class and in my IT Fundamentals class. Photo stories, blogging, wikis, etc are all great tools to utilize in the classroom.

How many of you have used HTML code before? What about voice recognition, tablets, or PDAs? Have you even heard of all of these? Why do you think so many people are afraid of digital tools?

2 comments:

  1. I use a writing tablet when a smart board is not available for my classroom. I find that when I display maps using the projector, I can, draw, write, point out specific locations and illustrate different ideas far better than I could without this piece of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we would be surprised at how many people are becoming more comfortable with these tools. Even folks in their 80's are utilizing this new technology, and I think in future years that number will just increase.

    ReplyDelete