Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Chapter: 14

http://www.columbia.k12.mo.us/depts/images/kids.jpg
Part II of our selected readings was to choose a chapter from the book and complete reflection questions. The sections included in the music, math, science, foreign language, english, health, physical education classrooms. I guess since I teach Business and Marketing and those are Technology based courses there wasn't a chapter for me! So, I chose the chapter on Integrating Technology in the ELL Classroom. I have had a lot of students in the past that do not speak very good English. On top of that, they aren't so technology-savvy. Two big whammies in a classroom full of teenage students!!

What I found most interesting was the Stages of Second Language Acquisition on page 335 (Table 14.2). To re-cap:


  • Silent/Receptive=10hours to 6 months to get about 500 vocabulary words that they can understand but may not be able to use.

  • Early Production= Addt'l 6 months to get 1,000 receptive and active words

  • Speech Emergenc=Addt'l 12 months to get 3,000 words

  • Intermediate Language Proficiency= Addt'l 12 months to get 6,000 words

  • Advanced Language Proficiency= up to 5-7 years to develop specialized content-are vocab.

WOW!!! That is a lot of time! I know I struggled while learning spanish in high school but I've never had to use it fluently for any reason.


Studies have shown that using technology can help ELL students achieve success. Do you agree?

9 comments:

  1. I find it funny that many will learn to speak English by watching American films. My school used a computer program to help the students identify and learn new words. The program kept track of where each student was at allowing for quicker learners to progress through the program faster. It helped, but I feel there is no substitute for one on one interaction with many of these students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized it takes 5-7 YEARS for an ELL student to get the gist of the English language. What a time-consuming and frustrating process. I'm pretty sure technology could definitely help with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very interesting to read. I had no idea how long it takes to learn a language!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, that is interesting I had no idea it took so long either. I guess thats why my 2 semesters of German havent made me fluent yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teach ESL in the Bronx, and it would be so useful if we had technology for the kids. One of the schools in our building has a computer for each of the kids and they do a self-paced program called Achieve 3000. It's amazing how much faster they progress.

    Unfortunately, a lot of smaller schools like ours have next to nothing in the way of technology for the students. It's definitely an argument on the "con" side of NYC heading toward smaller schools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post on such an important topic! When I taught ESL in Roanoke Co. it always surprised classroom teachers when I brought up the 5-7 year fluency norm. We expect so much of them so soon! But you're right about technology...when classroom teachers made use of Activeboards, for example, my ELL students were able to comprehend more of the content material they were studying (assessment scores improved). We have to use all the resources possible to get these kids progressing in the language!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think technology could be very helpful in assisting these students. We see so many people pick up language skills from TV that I believe a curriculum geared more toward integrating technology and language skills would be super-beneficial. I can't imagine trying to master another language while trying to attend school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would totally agree that technolgy would help. It is amazing that it takes that long. I know how much the computer has helped my 7 year old learn. Technolgy is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I had no idea it took that long to become fluent. Technology can do some really neat things!

    ReplyDelete